Colombia is my home base. It probably won’t come as a surprise to you that we have put together a special Colombia Travel Guide to help you find your way around, in the most beautiful country I have ever visited.
Here is a compiled list of all the different articles I have written about different regions of Colombia.
Colombia Travel Guide
In 2017, we are launching a project to fill in all the gaps in this Colombia Travel Guide. Each new place will go into the site as new blog post and will show up appropriately. However, for quick reference we will include the links on this page as well. Enjoy!
Pacific Coast Region: El Choco & Buenadventura
- Savage Paradise Part 1: The Birds, The Bees & the Guerrillas: openmindedtraveler.com/savage-paradise-part-i-the-birds-the-bees-and-the-guerillas/
- Savage Paradise Part 2: A Peek Inside The Cocaine Kitchen: openmindedtraveler.com/inside-the-cocaine-kitchen/
- Savage Paradise Part 3: The Peaceful Spirit of El Choco and Her People: openmindedtraveler.com/savage-paradise-the-peaceful-spirit-of-el-choco-and-her-people/
- How to Take Your Baby to the Rainforest: Here’s the story of how I traveled up into the jungle with my 7 month old. openmindedtraveler.com/how-to-take-your-baby-to-the-rainforest/
- My Second Visit to El Choco, Colombia | Conflict Zone Tourism where I tell you about what it was like being out in the rugged jungles of Colombia. openmindedtraveler.com/my-second-visit-to-el-choco/
- Conflict Zone Tourism | Travel El Choco With US! Life is too short for second guesses, and if you are one of those who are willing to take a chance, we have a semi-safe exclusive tour where we will take you up into one of the roughest jungle areas of Colombia where you will see amazing sights, hear incredible things and experience an eco-system so pure you can drink the water off the ground in most areas.
The Coffee Axis of Colombia
- Manizales, Caldas in 1 Day: Tours, Sights and Things to do: openmindedtraveler.com/manizales-in-1-day/
- Best Place to Drink Coffee in the Coffee Triangle: openmindedtraveler.com/el-barista-best-place-to-drink-cafe-in-the-coffee-axis/
- Where to stay near Santa Rosa de Cabal: Experience a rustic bed & breakfast out in the countryside: openmindedtraveler.com/casa-rural-san-juan-de-las-araucarias/
- Colombian Coffee: Why You So Damn Delicious! Where we give you some insider tips and coffee info. worldnomads.com/explore/south-america/colombia/coffee-in-colombia
- Salento | Quindio: Village of Artisans: Where we take you inside this coffee region pueblo which is one of the most popular destinations in Colombia. openmindedtraveler.com/salento-a-village-of-artisans/
- The Botanical Garden and Butterfly House of Quindio Colombia: Where you can take a 2 1/2 hour tour through the tropical forests of this region. Learn about plants, animals, mineral deposits and butterflies. In Calarca, Quindio openmindedtraveler.com/jardin-botanico-y-mariposario-del-quindio/
- La Virginia | Risaralda: A river pueblo with beautiful green spaces only 30 km from Pereira, a tourism scene for swimming, fishing and boating, plus some really nice food options, all at a low price compared to the rest of the surrounding region. slideshare.net/ErinDonaldson1/la-virginia-risaralda-pereira-city-guide-day-trip-planner
- Filandia | Quindio: Similar to Salento, but with less people. Here’s a day-trip planner I made for visitors. slideshare.net/ErinDonaldson1/filandia-colombia-visitors-guide
The Capital of Colombia, Bogota
- Three Days in Bogota and 3 Ways to Do it Right: On this visit, my youngest brother Andrew came along with me. Graffiti, cheap beer and gourmet food was our goal. Learn more about where we went and what we did here! openmindedtraveler.com/three-days-in-bogota-and-three-ways-to-do-it-right/
- A Holistic Experience in Bogota. Brick, concrete, graffiti, fresh coffee and mountain views all come to mind when I think of Bogota, Colombia. It’s a city of danger with a side of excellent cuisine made fresh by Colombians who have traveled enough to know… What most visitors don’t consider is green spaces, farmers markets and meditation. openmindedtraveler.com/holistic-experience-in-bogota/
The Caribbean Coast
- Experience Tolú, a hidden treasure on the Colombian coast that most travelers miss: openmindedtraveler.com/the-hidden-treasures-of-tolu-and-how-to-take-your-baby-to-the-beach/
- Cartagena Restaurant Reviews, where we show you a place we loved on our last vacation: openmindedtraveler.com/restaurant-review-montmartre-of-cartagena-colombia/
- Cartagena, City of Legend and Romance. Also the story of my a trip I took alone while 6 months pregnant: openmindedtraveler.com/cartagena-city-of-legend-and-romance/
The South of Colombia
- The Cali Salsa Scene, where we take you inside the club scene and our travel experience: openmindedtraveler.com/the-cali-colombia-salsa-scene/