Let’s Talk Pereira totally lacks the social elegance of Bogota, even so your chances aren’t completely sunk! If you aren’t into the Club Comercio money parade, the strange but elusive Rotaracts, or the aged classiness of the Orchid Association, then check out a humble little group named Let’s Talk Pereira. It’s not about image, or socio-economic strata. There isn’t a fancy membership form required, and the people who participate come from all walks of life and backgrounds. The best part of all: it’s free! Whenever I visit I am always fascinated by the variety of people I meet, the local characters and the conversation.
Meet Let’s Talk Pereira
- Patrick is from France. He frequently brings students to practice French.
- Linda is an English teacher from Chicago. She enjoy’s sharing her passion for teaching. She teaches in the public schools of Pereira through the Hearts for Change program.
- Ivan is a fellow travel enthusiast, yet Colombian. Having traveled Europe and the US, he has some extensive experience and adventure stories to share. He is one of the group moderators.
- Jose Miguel is one of the essential personalities of the group. He speaks 6 languages fluently and, 16 or 17 languages at a basic or conversational level. Jose was even invited to participate in a documentary about the language of Spain’s Basque culture. A language teacher at the local university, he can give valuable tidbits to aspiring polyglots!
- Jose, also a group moderater, is always ready with a hug and a smile to greet newcomers and returning conversationalists. He speaks Italian, English and Spanish!
- Erin (that’s me) is the odd-ball American writer who comes to escape the many responsibilies of freelance writing, private English tutoring, and motherhood.
- Mary, an expat who has moved to Pereira from the US. She lives with her daughter who came to Pereira and never left.
Let’s Talk Pereira is made up of Colombians, Americans, Canadians, Italians, Germans, a sizable French group, and almost any other nationality you can imagine. This group is colorful and diverse.
All have made their way to the fastest growing social meet-up club in Pereira!
How It Works
It’s so funny how sometimes you don’t find a conversation at the conversation club, the conversation finds you. And that is exactly what I was thinking during my last visit when a man plopped himself down next to me and said “can we talk.” I took a quick glance at him, he was young (maybe 25+), and eager. “Um, sure” I mumbled off, “that’s what we are all here for.” And, I listened to his story. A very nice man, Juan, is diligently seeking to become a brain doctor of some kind and wants to practice his English, while his brother was practicing his French with Patrick. Just another night at Let’s Talk Pereira.
You will never feel like the odd guy out either, as the group moderators Jose and Ivan work to keep the shy one’s interacting. They also help at times to keep the bold ones from hogging the show. Come, sit down, order a drink or some food. Find someone to chat with, and enjoy! You will find every age, every nationality, and every type of person there. Plenty of romance and friendships have been gained, along with better Spanish, English and French!
Need to Know Information
Wednesdays at El Barista in Pinares, or Kolibri Hostal near Avenida Circunvalar. Rotating each week. Check Facebook for details.
Fridays, it is held @ 7:30 pm at Arakataka in el Centro: Calle 21 between Carerra 6 & Carrera 7.
Additional Info: Let’s Talk Pereira Facebook Page
Cost: Free, but I’m sure the owners of the establishments where it is hosted greatly appreciate your business!